What You'll Learn on this Page
Come Ride Trikes!
Test riding is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR in choosing the right trike. RPDX has over 20 demo trikes to test ride and we’re always happy to join you on test rides. Test ride as long and as often as you need to be sure. Here’s a link to our safety rules and ride waiver.
Our Favorite Test Rides Right Out the Front Door
- Ladds Addition -the nation’s most bike-friendly neighborhood
- The Tilikum Crossing -over the beautiful Willamette River- the world’s largest car free bridge
- 600 foot climb to the pine-covered summit of Mt. Tabor -the perfect hill-climbing test (motorized or not)
Click the Buttons Below to See Each Route
What to Bring and What to Wear
- No fancy biking clothes required -come comfortably-dressed
- Closed toe and heel shoes are a must for safe test riding
- If you already have bike shoes, bring them
- If you have a helmet, bring it. Otherwise, we have S-M-L loaner helmets
- Got a friend, spouse or family member coming along? We’re happy to set everybody up for a test ride
Test Ride Waiver
Trike with Friends!
All of our trikes can be outfitted with a motor kit -at time of sale or even after years of use. We offer Bosch Active Line Plus and Bafang motor kits. We have several motor kit-equipped trikes on our floor, so you can enjoy a beautiful leisurely test ride with a partner or friend!
Motor Kits provide safe, reliable enjoyment -allowing you to
- Extend your ride -so you can see more
- Enjoy cycling with partners faster than you
- Easily overcome barriers -like steep hills
- Be confident you can throttle home if you become fatigued
For those whose cycling is limited -due to stroke, Parkinson’s, Ataxia, ALS, MS, CP or amputation- motor kits can replace lost functionality. We often pair adaptive accessories with a motor kit
You can learn more in our Motor Kit section
Purchasing at RecumbentPDX
All visits to RecumbentPDX are by appointment.
There’s never any rush to buy at RPDX -we always go at your pace. But, when you are ready to buy, we keep the West Coast’s largest inventory from Catrike, SunSeeker and Greenspeed and our mechanics can often have trikes fitted and ready to take home same day -though, complex builds such as Rohloff, Schlumpf, DI2 and some motor kits can take an overnight.
Call us if you need help planning out a visit.
We love helping folks for whom injury or physical limitation has kept them from riding. We’ve made something of a specialty fitting fitting those living with Parkinson’s, Ataxia, CP, ALS and MS as well as those recovering from balance deficits, stroke, orthopedic surgery and injury. Even those looking to get back out on the road for the first time in years.
We keep a completely line of adaptive components to help overcome most barriers to riding – If you have the desire, we’ll do our best to get you safely enjoying the joy of cycling again
We already have demos on the floor set up for many special needs, feel free to give us an advance call -we’re always happy to specially-outfit a demo trike just for you.
Learn more on our Adaptive Riding page
We want to make sure to make sure RPDX is the best shopping experience you ever have! Relax at our kitchen table between test rides and enjoy Mel’s homemade energy bars and chocolate custards, Janet’s fresh-baked muffins, fruit, sparkling drinks and cappuccino.
Catrike –Handbuilt in the USA (links to our trike spec page). We will always have factory stock demos of every Catrike on our showroom floor.
We also have Catrike demos with
- Bafang Pedal-Assist Motor
- Bosch Advantage Line Plus Pedal-Assist Motor
- Bosch Advantage Line Plus with Rohloff Speedhub E-14 Electronic Shifting
- Rohloff Speed Hub with Schlumpf Mountain Drive
- Shimano Alfine DI2 Electronic Shifting
- Magnum XL
Sun – Value and Convenience
Adaptive –Overcoming limitations for active riding. Catrike Villager Left OR Right Side Control -Shimano DI2 electronic internal geared hub with Tektro twinned hydraulic brakes. Shifting, braking and steering are all controlled from one side (left or right). Assistive arms ease entry and exit from the trike.