Spring Shop Rides
This weather’s turning nice, so watch our Facebook page and RSVP for group rides (rides may come on short notice!). We meet at the shop, enjoy some coffee and treats and then head out. Rides are a great opportunity to meet other trikers to arrange your own rides with. Our rides won’t wear you out
- ALL ages
- ALL abilities
- NO DROP (we won’t leave you stranded)
- We always have demo trikes available for folks thinking about joining (just give us a call ahead of time)
Here are two upcoming rides:
- On April 27th, HP Velotechnik Factory Rep Stefan Beck visits RPDX. Join us for a group ride (we have HP demos, so call us if you need to use one of ours!). We’ll meet at RPDX at 9 am for cake and coffee. Cake?! At nine in the morning, you ask?!! Of course! That’s how we roll. And, by “roll”, I mean working off that cake on a two hour “out-‘n-back” ride (we ride back the exact route we rode out) down the Springwater Corridor and over the Sellwood Bridge. We’ll take a break on the west side of the bridge while the hard-cores prove their mettle (or “metal”, if they’re packing electric assist) by climbing 700 foot to Palatine Hill Road.
Back at the shop, Stefan will answer any technical questions. Stefan’s visits are always special, so RPDX wants to add a bit of our own magic: Any purchase of a HP Velotechnik that day will include the customer’s choice of 1) full HP fender set; 2) rear pannier rack; or 3) Terracycle SeatSide Mount with Evo bag.
- On May 19th, come by RPDX at 10 am for cake and coffee (More cake? Is this a running theme? Of course!). At 11 am, we pick up the Portland Sunday Parkways route just a couple blocks from the store. This is one of our absolute favorite rides and an opportunity to show off our quirky Southeast neighborhood. This is not an organized RPDX ride, so feel free to ride on your own or stay with the trike posse as we threaten and intimidate those upright riders!
Spring Tune Ups
Need to get your trike ready for spring riding? For low-mileage riders, we like to see trikes every three to four years (more often for high-mileage trikes).
RPDX’ ever-growing selection of videos showcase trikes, accessories, fun rides as well as intrepid riders leap frogging life’s obstacles to get back on the road! While there’s no substitute for test riding, they’re a good start to your education.
- Inspiring riders overcoming vast barriers to get back on the road
- Tish’s Catrike Trail outfitted for her prosthetic leg here and here
- Larry’s HP Velotechnik outfitted for dual prostheses
- Ron Weber rides a Catrike and falls in love
- Trikes and Accessories Showcase
- Technical and Safety Videos Pain Free Pedaling with Eliptical Cranks
- Customer Shakedown ridesHP Scorpion Rohloff and Shimano STEPS
- Manufacturer Interviews
- As Always, Some Really Fun Rides!
With over 125 trikes from Catrike, HP Velotechnik, AZUB, Greenspeed and Sunseeker in inventory, RPDX has the largest selection in North America! Once you pick your trike, RPDX mechanics can often get it fitted just the way you like and you take it home same day (complex builds -Rohloff, Schlumpf, DI2 and some motor kits can take an overnight -call us if you need help planning it out).
Trikes are both new to many folks and a substantial investment. To truly know what you want, test riding is a must and no store has more demo trikes than RPDX (or prettier test rides!). There’s no rush to decide: Demo ride -as long as you want, as far as you want and as often as you want- until you know what you want.
RPDX Boss Lady Janet is always eager to guide a leisurely ride around our beautiful Ladds Addition neighborhood or over our bike-and-pedestrian-only Tillicum Crossing spanning the Willamette River. Or, for the more adventurous: ride designated bike streets from the store to the 636’ summit of Mt. Tabor (for one of the city’s most breathtaking views!). To get ready for your visit, here’s a link to our safety rules and ride waiver.
While we already have demos on the floor set up for many special needs, feel free to give us an advance call -we’re always happy to specially-outfit a demo trike just for you.
We want to make sure to make sure RPDX is the best shopping experience you ever have! Between test rides, relax at our kitchen table and enjoy Mel’s homemade energy bars and chocolate custards, fresh fruit, sparkling drinks and cappuccino.
- All 9 Catrikes -including the new Eolas. PLUS both electric and adaptive builds for folks eager to overcome any limitations
All 10 HP Velotechniks -that means EVERY Scorpion and Gekko model PLUS Shimano STEPS 6000 and 8000 electric builds. 5 AZUB trikes – including the Full Fat, TI-Fly, T-Tris and Tricon
- Greenspeed Magnum, Magnum XL and Anura!
- Short boom demo trikes –enabling riders 4’11 and up to easily test ride
- One-hand control demos (left or right) – Electronic shifting, stand up aids, heel support pedals and single hand control hydraulic brakes enabling those recovering from stroke to easily ride again
- Pedal-assist demos! Nearly a quarter of the trikes leaving the shop now feature pedal-assist electric motors. We have Shimano 6000 and 8000 as well as Bionx (yes, we still have Bionx available!) Test riding lets you know if it’s the right choice for you
- We have demos available for test riding with Rohloff Speedhub, Schlumpf Mountain Drive, Pinion Drive Technology and Shimano DI2. No other store in the United States has this much component choice available for you to test ride!
We have Accessories!!
- Extensive TerraCycle offerings -including their new pendulum pedals, Finer Recliner neck rests, bottle mounts, side bags and a panoply of Erector Set-like connectors to attach pretty-much ANYTHING to your recumbent
- Roadside repair tools from Park Tools and Koolstop
- Large colorful attention-getting flags
- Ventisit-the world’s most comfortable recumbent seat pad!
- Schwalbe Tires – Fast, comfy, knobby, puncture-resistant- RPDX has ALL the choices. No recumbent store has a larger selection of Schwalbe tires and tubes
- Kryptonite Locks and Terratrike Covers to keep your recumbent safe from theft
- Ortlieb, Evo and Arkel Recumbent bags
- Terratrike Heel Support pedals, cushions, roof-top trike carriers and bottle cage mounts
- Horns, lights and helmets
- Hollywood Racks to haul your trike on a trailer hitch
- DaBrim Helmet Visors for Taming the Blazing Sun™
As always, we’ve got a completely line of adaptive components to help overcome any barrier to riding –whether it be surgery, stroke, joint replacement, Ataxia, Parkinson’s or balance issues. If you have the desire, we’ll do our best to get you safely enjoying the joy of cycling again:
- Heel Support Pedals -to ensure feet stay comfortably and safely on the pedals
- Stand Up Assist Arms -to help rider get safely in and out of the seat
- Lumbar supports and other adaptive cushions -every recumbent rider is unique. We have the pads to make you comfortable
- Pendulum Pedals -for riders with limited range of motion, these allow a comfortable, smooth leg stroke
- Short Cranks -for shorter riders, these ensure a comfortable leg stroke (if you’re 5’2″, you don’t ride the same cranks as somebody 6’2″!)
- Climbing gears to ensure you can get up the steepest grades
That was a lot! With so much good stuff at RPDX, aren’t you glad you read all the way to the end? You can always email us with questions or comments
Janet, Mel and the RPDX team